Current Brews.....On tap and in growlers!
Golden Spike IPA
The eastern and western lines were joined together the complete Northern Pacific's northern continental railroad near Independence Creek in western Montana in 1883. To commemorate the occasion, the first spike driven to start the railway construction near Carlton, Minnesota, was used to connect the last section of rail. It was named the Golden Spike, and was driven by NP President Henry Villard, former US President Ulysses S. Grant, and Henry C. Davis, who had driven that first spike. Our Golden Spike, commemorating the completion of Roundhouse Brewery, is a golden colored Imperial IPA, loaded with premium brewers and dark crystal malts, generous doses of Mosaic and Crystal hops for aromas of citrus, spice, and blueberry, and Magnum hops for a clean bittering finish. 8.9% ABV, 87 IBU, 8 SRM.
Manley Cunninghan, our brewer's grandfather, was a railroader for all of his adult life, starting out as a crew caller for the Northern Pacific in the days of steam locomotives until retiring as an engineer for Burlington Northern in the days of diesel. Manley's Wee Heavy is a Strong Scottish Ale, dedicated to the memory of all of the men and women who work the rails. Full bodied and malty, with hints of currants and caramel, and a rich dark color and malty aroma. 8.9% ABV, 26 IBU, 34 SRM.
Crow Wing Cream Ale
- Cream ales are one of the first uniquely American beers, and the Crow Wing River runs deep through the memories and the culture of central Minnesota. To honor those histories, we've created Crow Wing Cream Ale. A blend of barley malt, wheat and corn and German Hellertauer hops provide balance, to make a crisp, smooth, refreshing beer. 5.5% ABV, 23 IBU, 3 SRM.
Spur Line Gluten Free Ale
- A spur line is a track that takes you way from the main line. Spur Line is a gluten free ale, dark and hoppy enough so that you know you are on the right track, even if it's not where everyone else is going. 6.5%ABV, 42 IBU, 20 SRM.
Angel Seat Amber Ale
The “angel seat” on a train is the raised observation seat up in the cupola of the caboose. From the angel's seat, a conductor could watch the train, looking for hot boxes (overheated wheel bearings) or fires started by hot cinders flying out of the locomotive. It's the highest seat on the train. Our Angel Seat Amber Ale will put you in the best seat in the house, too. Smooth, malty flavor and aroma, with a crisp, clean hoppy finish. 5.7% ABV, 40 IBU, 15 SRM.
46 North Wild Rice Ale (brewed with organic grains and hops)
- Your paddle slips into the still water, breaking the reflection of spruce trees and tamaracks, while off in the distance a loon calls into the quiet. You've crossed over into the north. Brewed with certified organic malts and hops, and wild-grown, traditionally harvested wild rice, 46 North is a tribute to the lakes and prairies of our beloved northlands. Crisp and clear, with an earthy finish, this a beer that will take you to the lakes. 6.2% ABV, 14 IBU, 6 SRM.
Boom Lake Lager
The east shore of Boom Lake was the site of the Brainerd Brewing Company, established in 1881. The Brainerd Brewing Company produced a lager using “ … a malt produced in Minnesota and the best domestic hops … obtained from the Pacific coast, [and] a considerable quantity of German hops….” (from Special Publication, 1910, p. 16, Brainerd Tribune, A. J. Halsted, Editor and Publisher). The brewery was forced to close down permanently in 1915. To honor the tradition established in those bygone days, we’ve developed our own premium lager, using pilsner malt produced in Minnesota, balanced by American Crystal and German Northern Brewer hops. Crisp, light bodied, with a mild malt flavor and aroma. We think our predecessors would be proud. We certainly are. 5.3% ABV, 22 IBU, 4 SRM.
Cinder Dick IPA
- A cinder dick was a railroad policeman. Cinder dicks spent their days walking the cinders of the rail yard, looking for thieves trying to break into boxcars, investigating wrecks for wrongdoing, or riding the trains guarding valuable freight. A hard, bitter job that deserves a bitter beer. Cinder Dick IPA is brewed with pale and dark crystal malts for balance, with Columbus, Northern Brewer, Cascade and Mosaic hops for a floral and citrus aroma and a strong, clean hop finish. 5.8% ABV, 76 IBU, 9 SRM
A Cowcatcher is a scoop on the front of a locomotive engine. Our Cowcatcher is a California Common style ale with Pilsner malt that creates a clean, mild malt flavor, crystal malts add a bit of complexity and color, and Northern Brewer hops contribute a subtle piney, earthy aroma and mild bitterness.4.5% ABV, 42 IBU, 11 SRM.
Pullman Car Chocolate Raspberry Stout
Riding on a Pullman car was traveling in the most luxurious style available. You were pampered from the time you left the depot until you arrived at your destination. Along the way, you were treated to gourmet meals and decadent desserts. Our Pullman Car Stout hearkens back to those days. It’s a rich oatmeal stout, infused with raspberries and cocao. It’s dessert in a glass. 6.1% ABV, 27 IBU, 43 SRM.
- Northern Pacific Locomotive #10 was a coal fired tender that worked in the rail yards in Brainerd for decades, switching cars, hauling coal for the power plant, and other duties. After being retired, it stood as a fixture at Brainerd’s Lum Park for years during the 1980’s. It’s the locomotive featured in the picture on our website. By a remarkable coincidence, our hefewiezen ale is the 10th beer that we’ve brewed in our lineup. The German-style wheat beer yeast suspended in the beer adds hints of clove and banana, while the white malted wheat adds a grainy sweetness. Crisp, refreshing, with a dense, white head and light body make this a perfect summer beer. 5.1% ABV, 15 IBU, 4 SRM.
Old Betsy Brown Ale